Frequently Asked Questions
Anytime, Anywhere Access to Work Remotely
Please be aware that hardware purchases may have longer than usual lead time as manufacturer supply chains are overwhelmed. As of March 17, 2020, multiple vendors have indicated lead times for hardware orders (such as computers or hotspots) may required until mid- to late-April.
Course Technology Needs
Students with technology needs for classes should raise the concerns through their faculty member/course instructor who can follow-up with the Division of Information Technology for assistance.
Division of Information Technology is collaborating with faculty members and vendors in an effort to provide access to software required for classes.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Temporary free at-home access to Creative Cloud desktop apps is being arranged for students who today only have access via their on-campus computer lab. Faculty members/course instructors can follow-up with the Division of Information Technology for assistance at ITRequests@tamucc.edu.
- Freedom Scientific: Temporary free Home License of the assistive technologies JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion for students, faculty, and staff. If you do not currently have a Freedom Scientific account, register using your personal email address. You can install these applications on up to three PCs (Microsoft Windows 7 or 10).
Home computer purchases
Computers may be personally purchased through university discounts for home use at the following sites:
Departmental Internet Access
University departments may purchase MIFIs/mobile hotspots to use for business continuity purposes. Information Technology coordinates these orders on departmental funds. As of March 17, 2020, Verizon has indicated mobile hotspots are back-ordered until mid- to late-April.
Service through Verizon does not require a long-term contract. Recurring monthly costs ($37.99/month); prorated costs during initial month setup. No initial setup fee is incurred if ordering from university contract.
To initiate a purchase, the department should send an email to the IT Service Desk (ITRequests@tamucc.edu) with the following information:
- Designate request as high priority
- State “needed for remote work due to COVID-19”
- Department Name
- Authorized Business Contact – i.e. Business Coordinator (phone# & email address)
- Include university account to be charged
- Requested date device is needed
Personal Internet Access - Keep Americans Connected Pledge
FCC Chairman Pai Launched the Keep Americans Connected Pledge
On March 13, several telecom companies committed to a pledge initiated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to help ensure that for the next 60 days everyone across America has reliable connectivity during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some internet and telephone providers in the Corpus Christi area, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Charter, and Grande Communications, have signed the Keep Americans Connected Pledge.
The pledge asks for providers to open Wi-Fi hotspots to for all to use, stop terminations for residential and small business owners affected during this time, and waive late fees for those customers that may experience economic disruptions due to the outbreak. The following information is provided by individual companies. TAMU-CC is communicating these opportunities to keep our university members informed. In addition to the Keep Americans Connected Pledge some providers are offering additional benefits to help customers stay connected:
- Unlimited home internet for service plans with data caps.
- For more information visit ATT's internet service page or call (844)-855-1539.
- Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps.
- Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- For more information visit Charter/Spectrum's internet services page or call 1-855-243-8892.
- Unlimited data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
- 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days
- 5GB of data per month for Lifeline participants
- Free international calling to Level 3 impacted countries.
- For more information visit T-Mobile's internet services page or call 1-800-T-MOBILE.
- Customers with international long-distance calling plans will receive complimentary international calling rates from the U.S. to countries defined by the CDC as Level 3.
- Unlimited data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
- 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
Visit Verizon's Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for information about:
- Service hours & store availability
- Policy information and special offers